Here is a BMI assessment scale :
BMI < 18.5 : Underweight
BMI 18.5-24.9 : Normal
BMI 25.0 to 29.9 : Overweight
BMI 30.0 to 34.9 : Obesity class I
BMI 35.0 to 39.9 : Obesity class II
BMI > 40.0 : Obesity class III
The higher the BMI, the more overweight a person is classified, and the more fat, the higher the risk of some dangerous diseases, such as coronary heart disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, cancer, gallbladder disease, stroke, osteoarthritis (arthritis), and gout (uric acid).
Why does a person get fat ? what causes obesity ?There are several factors that can make a person fat :
- Eating exceed the needs of the body
, can be caused by several factors :
Eating unhealthy foods, such as fried foods or foods contain saturated fats.
Irregular meal frequency.
- Less use of energy ; sedentary lifestyle resulting in calories stockpiled in the form of body fat and causes obesity.
- Heredity. Based on the research of nutrition in the United States, only 10 % of obese people who come from normal parents. The trend has increased to 40-50 % if one parent is obese, and increased to 70-80% when both parents are obese. Therefore, babies born to obese parents are likely obese. When children are obese in childhood, it is likely difficult to be thin when they become adult. This happen because since their childhood, their body forms excessive cells.
- Hormonal factors. In post-menopausal women can decrease thyroid hormone function. The ability to use energy will decrease with decreasing function of this hormone, seen from the decrease in the body's metabolism, causing obesity.
- Low basal metabolic rate, at which energy is consumed slowly broken down into glycogen, so more is stored in the form of fat, the result is obesity. Obese people with low basal metabolism should exercise and diet correctly so as not to gain weight, because the greater the muscle, then someone will be more easily hungry.
- Drugs that cause obesity, among other antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, oral contraceptives, corticosteroid drugs, and some types of blood pressure-lowering drugs.
- Psychological factors. In some people, emotions affect eating habits, which makes them wants to eat a lot.
- Diseases, such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing's syndrome.
The surprising fact is, many number of slimming drugs are withdrawn from circulation by FDA since proven to contain harmful chemical compounds, such as :
- Amphetamine, decrease appetite but has bad side effects such as increasing blood pressure and can lead to dependence.
- Mixture of thyroid hormones, which burns excess fat, with side effects circulatory disorders, nerve, and the risk of endometriosis in women.
- Laxatives and diuretics, which is working to reduce the volume of fluid in the body, the side effects of dehydration and impaired kidney and liver function.
The experts have discovered natural ingredients that are proven effective and safe for weight loss and prevent obesity, namely Garcinia cambogia extract. I believe you have heard it from Dr. Oz show. This cambodia works pretty well to help you loose weight while still maintain your body healthy.
I hope this article can give you insight about what causes obesity and don't forget to share this article to all of your friends